Because every day in the office is going to be like this:
1. Expectation: They’ll be really grateful that you helped them find a new job.
So will work super hard.
Reality: There’s now a weird power switch in your relationship.
Is it too weird to ask your best friend to hold your calls and make you a coffee?
2. Expectation: You’re going to make a great team!
Many hands make light work, etc. The day is going to fly by!
Reality: Your work ethic isn’t compatible with their sloth.
3. Expectation: You’re going to have someone to gossip with nonstop!
It’s going to be like your weekends never end!
Reality: Oh dear God — they never shut up.
Seriously… how can you not understand that headphones in = international code for “I don’t want human contact right now?!”
Or else they’re a bit unpproachable at work.
WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY BEST FRIEND?!
4. Expectation: Working with your friend is going to make your job easier.
Reality: It’s really hard to be professional when you’re with your partner in crime 24/7.
I Love Lucy / CBS
“We work in an office, Lucy, not the Magic Mystery Machine. There’s no time for adventures, dammit.”
5. Expectation: You’ve got an automatic alibi when you’re hungover at work.
“This is a brainstorm, duh!”
Reality: Your lie is even less convincing when two of you are suffering from the same “illness.”
“There’s obviously a bug going around…”
6. Expectation: Now you’ve got reason to look forward to coming into work!
Reality: You spend too much time together and start to find each other annoying.
7. Expectation: You’ve got a built-in wingman to combat any office party awkwardness.
Reality: They snog Dave from IT three minutes into the interoffice drinks party.
“It’s OK… I like reading…”